Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Why Ethiopia?

The question that I get a lot is...Why adopt from Ethiopia? Why don't you adopt a child from the US? This is a sensitive subject for some people. All I can say is, I truly believe that God gives is the desires of our heart. He has put Ethiopia on our hearts for a reason. As many of you know, I worked in many orphanages in a third world countries as a teenagers during the summers vacation from school. I have memories at those orphanages of children not knowing their name or age because no one ever told them what it was. I remember the large number of innocent children with little supervision or love. Most of them had no opportunities to make it in life. Completely heart breaking. Maybe this is a factor in why I want to adopt Internationally.

Below is a powerful video on International Adoption.



According to UNICEF, Poverty deprives children in their early years of life to adequate food, clean water, and medicine.

Startling stats:

• one out of every 20 children born alive die in their first month of life


• one out of ten die before reaching their first birthday


• one out of six die before reaching their fifth birthday

According to the Embassy of Ethiopia, the country currently has a literacy rate of about only 33 percent. With a population of 65 million, 39 percent of the population lives below the poverty line. As disease spreads rapidly, more than 1.5 million people are infected with HIV/AIDS annually.

Other Ethiopia Statistics:



This is probably more info than you needed but I could just go on and on. Having said that, I know that Ethiopia is not the only country in need but it's the one that we feel led to.


Map of Africa

No comments: